How can we improve MicroSurvey CAD, inCAD, or embeddedCAD?

Simplify restoring "All" custom files & settings

After going through a hard drive crash and rebuilding my computer it has become apparent
that something needs to be done about simplfying the backing up & restoring of the custom
files and settings in MSCad. They are scattered all over the directory structure and each
new version can change all this.

Why not give us a function that will save "All" the custom files and config settings to a
"Custom" folder and include a "ReadMe.txt" file with proper paths for each file.
This can't be that difficult and would greatly simplfiy the upgrade process or someone
trying to reconfigure the program after a computer crash.

42 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steven Gardner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Timothy J Howell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see a way of "backing up" our configurable settings to the USB License Key so that it would read from that no matter what computer I am on. Have "X, Y, and Z" users.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know the files that I need to copy, problem finding the right folder to put them in. Many folders with the same types of files, but only one is right. Some folders are hidding making them very hard to find. It should be very easy to have a wizard that will copy files.

• Jon Hodde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have used Microsurvey software almost since its inception and subsequently updated numerous times. This suggested feature is more than just a recommendation, it is essential.

• Jason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's the toolbar prefs, the paths, the blocks, the layouts, the ctb's, EVERYTHING is actually saved by default in a small file in your main program files, BUT in order to save them you have to copy and rename the file. It's a step that could corrupt your program. The program itself ought to be able to store a copy in a discrete place for reference later, to rebuild that database of preferences from. VERY SIMPLE to solve and now with 2013 version it has changed dozens of defaults all over the place and it's a HUGE pain to re-do. I can-not agree more with this idea, and I'd like it to be placed in high priority. I'm sure many of our user issues could be resolved by having a "go back to the way it was" feature.

• Steven Gardner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update... I have just installed the newest version to my laptop running Win 7 and of course all the paths are different. The USB key works great to switch between desktop & laptop its just a real pain to get all the custom settings the same. How about a one button backup & restore of all custom files ?

Feedback and Knowledge Base