How can we improve MicroSurvey CAD, inCAD, or embeddedCAD?

Original Shore Road Allowance Offset Calcs

Many surveyors have to establish offset lines to irregular boundaries. An extremely common occurance of this is staking the inner limit of an Original Shore Road Allowance. Another is setting a building setback for by-law purposes from the water's edge on a waterfront lot. I would like to be able to create a line which is offset from an irregular boundary (i.e. the water's edge) such that any point on that line is a set distance away from it. Currently we have to manually click on each point on our water's edge, draw a circle at each point, individually offset each line between the points and then trim all of the mess until we have a line in which all points on the line are at a minimum distance from the water's edge line. Which is a very time consuming task.

The other problem with this is that now we have a line that is not related to any point work so when we try to shift, rotate and scale a drawing in the local system we have to recreate the linework all over again for our UTM drawing.

9 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Christopher Oyler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Christopher Oyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Parallel command does not create a line of equal distance from all points on the irregular boundary. I believe the buffer command idea better illustrates my point. ESRI uses a similar command in their ArcGIS software. If you follow the proceedure I have outlined in my original post and then try the offset command then you will see the difference.

• fjt_aus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Your irregular boundary needs to be drawn as a polyline and not a series of separate lines. This polyline can then be offset whatever distance you want using the 'parallel' command. Is this what you mean?

Feedback and Knowledge Base